For the past three days on Twitter, I have been tweeting a Mission For Today, asking my followers to do one positive thing at work. With the holiday season, it’s a small way to create some good cheer around the office and to keep up your own morale during this busy time. If you missed the tweets, here were the daily missions for this week:
- Mission for today: find one positive thing happening at work and tell people, and your manager, about it.
- Mission for today: sincerely smile and thank someone for the work they did today.
- Big mission for Friday: ask someone what they think about something important to them at work. Listen.
This all got started when one of my production managers came into work in a grumpy mood. After a morning of instant messages sharing one problem after another, I couldn’t take any more of the negativity. I gave him the first mission so he would focus on finding something positive. At the end of the day, he came back to me with a small, but significant, victory for his team that day. It got me thinking about other simple things we can do in a day that would make work a little more positive.
I will tweet, and blog, a daily Mission For Today for the remaining business days until Christmas. If you find this useful, please retweet or share what you did in the comments. I may decide to continue spreading the good cheer into the next year!
- The 12 (Leadership) Days of Christmas (Kevin Eikenberry)
- Sharpening The Saw
- Learning From The Good And Bad Managers Of My Past